Friday, May 9, 2008

To the trenches

My cold is still with me. I'm waging a bitter war against the bacterial invaders that dare to steal time away from my precious three week vacation before the dreaded summer semester. For now, I feel as if the adversary and I are at a standstill. We shall see who falls first before the weapons of the enemy in this trench-like warfare. Germany will soon surrender if I have anything to say about it...

Tanya found a poor little kitty near a dumpster at her work. It was raining and he was brought into her store by a crack addict. (Downtown Bryan yields many treasures.) I brought him home, cleaned off the fleas that were feasting on him, and then Tanya and I presented him to her brother Les, who instantly fell in love and named him Lando. He is now residing in my bathroom, since the poor guy is still only 4 weeks old and needs to get some weight on him. But he already knows who his daddy is, and loves to cuddle on Les's shoulder whenever he sees him.



As for my newest project, I've started making... well, something. I'm hand-stitching some squares of fabric together using the English paper piecing method. Once I get something of the approximate size I want, I'll probably fiddle around with different scraps and stitching and make a sort-of arty quilty wall piece. I started this with the intention of giving myself something to do while I'm on my diet. Busy hands don't creep towards the chocolate.

But as I have been sick these last few days, I've held off on the diet and am getting some real meals, at least for the time being. I've been told that if I stay on the shakes while sick, I could go into heart failure, and a sick heart at 24 doesn't sound too appealing.

In any case, I've been diligently working on my stitching and plan to add some nice embellishments, like perhaps some of the wool scraps I just bought from a lovely seller called little borrowers on Etsy.



This weekend is my brother-in-law's 16th birthday, as well as Mother's Day, so we'll be down in New Braunfels. That's just fine with me. They have some lovely antique shops, and I will so be browsing them and finding many new and fascinating ways to spend my husband's money.

1 comments:

Judi W. said...

Oh my gosh - that kitten is just toooo precious! Are you sure you can part with it?

I wonder what would happen if you were to find a pleasing arrangement of the knit pieces, sewed them together, and then felted them in the washer. Do you think you could then make a cool purse or something?

Have a great weekend and feel better soon!